Thursday, March 20, 2008

Home Depot Looks Busy

For the all talk of economic gloom and doom, I'm actually very optimistic about the "economy". There is no doubt the "economics" of the moment are troubled - housing, banks, the almighty greenback, etc.

This morning I stopped by Home Depot to pick up some plastic drop sheet for a current home project. Based on all the latest financial news I half expected the place to resemble a ghost town and I would be the only guy walking around the store - trying to have conversations with the automated self check out lane.

But, the exact opposite was true. The place was busy.

And people were buying a lot more than the $3.20 plastic I was.

Now I admit I'm not following each and every HD earnings report. But if today was any indication I think the "economy" is doing fine. The "economy" in this instance being small business, large businesses that don't include the word bank, employment numbers, and people spending money on things that can appreciate in value or bring them genuine happiness... like their homes.

Or their above ground pools.

I'm guess what I'm trying to say is that regardless of what the financial news is from Wall St... there are still many good reasons to build your above ground pool deck. So if any of you are thinking that now might not be a good time because of what you're reading in the business page - I say don't be intimidated out of giving yourself and your family a gift.

That said, I of course can't make that kind of decision for you. But chances are if you're reading this you're very interested in building a deck around your pool. So for those of you considering what kind of personal value a pool deck will bring, consider this quote:

“In the best of times, our days are numbered anyway. So it would be a crime against nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly, that it put off enjoying those things for which we were designed in the 1st place: the opportunity to do good work, to enjoy friends, to fall in love, to hit a ball, and to bounce a baby.” - Alistair Cooke

Now I admit that I don't know a lot about Mr. Cooke but I loved the quote. I think it's appropriate for those of us who continue to want to do good works and enjoy it too, despite any Wall St crisis.

And I think if you were to run that quote by people this summer as they enjoy their above ground pool deck, they would probably say "Yeah?".

To your success,

Paul Ottaviano
Createyourdeck.com




















No comments: