Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Building a Deck Around a Pool: Floating Foundations

I received a great question today from a reader named Ed who asked:

"I'm going to build a deck 1/2 way around my pool - I'll e-mail my layout. Will your book help guide me on how to install step by step , from beginning to end , the deck? I'm pretty handy; however, I'm just in the beginning/initial stage and need a good guide. I was considering buying software and have it do the layout for me? What are your thoughts? I was also considering floating w/out footers. Any advice?"

My answer, summed up for the blog:

"Yes, our book will help guide you step-by-step and can help you with any deck, because the general building principles are the same. If software will help you make your pool deck plans easier than I certainly recommend using them. We list several for your consideration in our book..."

But the question I really got excited about was regarding the floating foundation.

A floating foundation is usually the safest and fastest way of building a deck around a pool. It requires no digging and the concrete can withstand most any sort of weather.

So if you're in a situation where you have to build a pool deck relatively quickly this summer, then this type of foundation might be for you.

Also, if you just want to use the pool to cool off but your spouse thinks the above ground pool looks tacky without a deck - and the kids are difficult to watch swim without a deck - in other words, you're basically going to have to learn how to build a pool deck... and you want it done as easily as possible... a floating foundation just may be for you.

As always, please check with your local building inspector before starting deck construction of any kind.

To your success,

Paul Ottaviano
Createyourdeck.com
More on How to Build a Deck Around a Pool





No comments: