Monday, August 17, 2009

Pool Decking Safety

I sometimes walk barefoot on my old deck. There haven't been many splinters to deal with, but there are a few popped up screws here or there to look out for. It happens as a deck ages.

This brings to mind some safety precautions you can take with your swimming pool deck.

When building a deck around your pool, remember that most people who use it will be barefoot. If affordable, it's a good idea to invest in the best decking lumber available.

Naturally resistant wood might be a good choice for you. Also, redwood reportedly does not splinter easily. I can't personally attest to this because it's not what my deck is made of.

Remember to reseal your wood every year. Some recommend doing this twice each year, or more.

As with many things, if you take care of your above ground swimming pool deck then it will take care of you.

Enjoy your pool!

Regards,

Paul Ottaviano
Createyourdeck.com - How to Build Pool Decks


2 comments:

Brandon said...

While I don't have a pool deck, I did just finish our 20x12 deck off our 2-story house. I used a composite wood from Evergrain, for the reasons that you have talked about in this post. Splinters and treating. I'll never have a splinter or have to stain the wood. It is great. I haven't posted any pictures yet, but I've started documenting my experience.

http://evergraindeck.blogspot.com/

Thanks for blogging, it is a great way to spread personal information and educate others!

Brandon

Brandon said...

I would suggest you use a composite wood if you are worried about splinters. I built an Evergrain deck (no pool) and there is no chance for splinters. Also, some composites have a higher safety rating by the ADA as they are slip resistant.