Thursday, June 18, 2009

How to Build Your Deck with Rental Tools

Rent the Tools You'll Need Only Once

When I was in college I worked for a small home improvement chain in La Habra, CA. After my "breaking in period" I was assigned to the tool rental desk.

At the time, I didn't know much about the tools we rented. That said, there wasn't a huge inventory of tools to rent and most of our customers knew what they were looking for anyway.

Many of the people who rented tools were either contractors or DIY'ers with at least a little bit of experience. Many of them had stories about how they bought new tools for one particular project only to never use that tool again. Now that I think about it that was their way of saying, "I'm your rental customer. Don't try to sell me something I don't want to keep and I'll probably be back."

Tool rental is really a great service and I highly recommend that you look into it for your above ground swimming pool deck project.

It's great for contractors because they'll likely spend less on tools they don't need regularly and hopefully they'll pass those cost savings on to you.

If you're building a deck for your pool, then renting tools you'll only need for that project is a obvious money saver.

For example, you probably won't need to buy excavation equipment or an hydraulic jack. So rent those if you need them.

The best thing to do when planning your above ground swimming pool deck is to make a list of all the tools you'll need, and also what you might need.

Then take inventory of what you already own and what you can borrow from a friend or neighbor.

It may feel awkward to ask a friend to borrow a tool, but it could save you some money. And who knows? Maybe your friend will want to help out with the construction. A long shot, but you never know until you ask.

Next, think about any other DIY projects you might do in the future. Will you need a new tool for that project as well? Then perhaps it makes sense to go ahead and buy it.

If you don't plan on doing another project in the near future or it won't require a specific tool you don't already have, then rent that tool instead.

Renting tools should be easy. Most reputable home improvement centers should offer the service.

As always, enjoy your pool!

Regards,

Paul Ottaviano
Createyourdeck.com - How to Build a Deck for an Above Ground Pool




1 comment:

GI said...

http://easydeck.blogspot.com

Link to me and I'll link to you.

eyesax@gmail.com