Friday, January 25, 2008

Recession Proof Pool Deck

We had our good friends from Roto Rooter over early this morning to inspect a clogged drain underneath our deck and running down the side of the house. Somehow a baby palm tree - yes, a palm tree - starting growing in one of the drains on the side of the house... where there is nothing but hardscape.

How it got there I don't know. But its roots are already spreading out all over the pipes that runoff to the street gutter. In order to fix it they'll have to rip up all of the concrete on the side of the house, and then replace 70' of pipe. The estimated cost? $4000.

I have to thank the little palm tree for its impeccable timing... volatile stock market, weak US dollar, credit crisis, sub-prime mortgage crisis, economic "experts" talking about recession... and I'm looking at making a decision between the drain - not something I want but something I'll eventually need to do - and a kitchen home improvement project (something I do want).

So the title of this blog post "Recession Proof Pool Deck" is written with a little bit of irony. Of course I'm not sure if there is such a thing as a recession proof deck. But I think one can't hurt and has the potential to certainly help right now.

The latest financial news and our friends from Roto Rooter got me thinking about pool decks or any other home improvement project. How practical would it be to build a pool deck in this economic climate?

Well, I suppose that depends on you and what you want versus what you need.

People spend more money on what they want and on what will make their lives perceptively better. In my situation, an improved kitchen will make me a lot happier than spending $4000 on a clogged drain.

Plus, the new kitchen will increase the value of the home... as would your new above ground pool deck... both appreciative home improvements that anyone who has the means should always consider doing.

So I'll use a submersible pump I can buy at any home and garden store as a stop gap for the drain, remodel the kitchen which makes the home a little more valuable, and then the drain fix basically pays for it self when the time comes to fix it.

I've just balanced what I want with what I need.

How does this apply to your above ground pool deck project?

If my situation with the drain were yours - and we're all living with the same global economic concerns unless you're doing quite well for yourself - then you should consider giving yourself what you want first... especially if if were to noticeably appreciate the value of a major asset like your home. In this case I'm thinking that thing you want would be your pool deck.

The exception to that being if your need - in this example the drain - became too much of a nuisance to avoid for long.

You might think it difficult to justify paying for a new above ground pool deck in a recession. I'm thinking how can you not?

  • Staying home and splashing around in your pool is a big money saver as time moves forward versus traveling the globe or buying the a big flat panel HDTV, neither adding any appreciative value to your assets.
Of course many people love to travel and watch TV! I'm just using those in contrast to another want of yours - a pool deck - that would actually add real financial value as well as pleasure.
  • Remember that according to the National Association of Homebuilders you can recover up to 75% of the cost of your deck construction when you sell your home.
So despite the recession, it's always a good time to build your dream above ground pool deck. A new toy that will increase your home enjoyment and your homes value.












No comments: