Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Above Ground Pools? Hmmmm...

Last night I was having dinner at one of my favorite local restaurants. I know the owner and manager well. They always come over and say hello... ask how things are going. It's that kind of place.

Both came over to chat with me individually. When they got around to asking me about my business I replied the way any enthusiastic business person would, I talked about it glowingly.

I explained how on the Internet I was going to help swimming pool owners by giving them valuable information they can use, and why... because I thought there wasn't a lot of great information resources available online. And many of the people who could use a good information resource were above ground pool owners, especially those wanting to build an above ground pool deck.

Neither seemed to be that familiar with the Internet, so I spared them the juicy technical tid-bits of having an online business. But with them being owners of a nice restaurant I figured they would at least understand the basic dynamic of a business giving people what they want.

Simply put, there are people like you who want swimming pool information and tips... be it pool deck construction or getting rid of algae. And for those of you who own an above ground pool you represent the fastest growing swimming pool in the country... and not just in the Northeast US either.

So it's only logical I explained. Our readers are demanding quality swimming pool information and we can supply it. It's Good Business 101.

Both looked at me quizzically as if to say, "Above ground pools? Why those?".

Hmmmm...

Obviously they don't know that more above ground pools are sold in the US each year than any other type of swimming pool. Or they could've just been suffering from the bias many in-ground pool owners have towards their above ground cousins... that they're unfairly seen as somehow representing those of us who are "less fortunate".

I couldn't disagree more.

Above ground pools are a logical choice for people who have a short swim season because of tough winter weather, regardless of their means. They're also a good choice for people who don't want to deal with something like the excavation for an in-ground pool.

Regardless of why you chose an above ground pool one thing is clear, you made a wise decision and you're hardly alone in getting one.

After explaining this confidently I was still looked at weird as if they were saying, "Yeah, whatever. Good luck with that buddy."

In my younger years I would've possibly taken that to heart. I've brought a lot of business to their fine restaurant over the years and I wasn't expecting that kind of reaction for one of their better customers. After all, I'm a regular.

But these days it's fine by me if others don't "get it" when it comes to what I do. They're not the type that would build an above ground pool deck anyway... or even have a pool... that said, I would be surprised if they even swim.

The only thing I care about when it comes to above ground pools is you, our readers and customers. Those of you who are interested in swimming pools, and building a pool deck, are the people I hope find value in the information I provide to you... and I believe you will.

And as for my restaurant friends, ten bucks says they get an above ground pool if they ever move to upstate NY.

Best regards,

Paul Ottaviano
How to Build a Deck for an Above Ground Pool









No comments: